Here is another recipe for organic shoulder of lamb. These local lambs have a lot of shoulders! We have just finished eating this, and it was tender and delicious. We adapted it from Two Fat Ladies: Full Throttle and I used herbs and spices from seasoned pioneers.
- 1 shoulder of lamb, about 2kg
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 pint of water or stock
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 2 tsp Ras el Hanout
- Salt and pepper
- 450g local potatoes peeled and chopped into large dice (e.g. Charlotte potatoes)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- Heat the oven to 140C
- Trim the joint of any superfluous fat
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and brown the lamb. Set the lamb aside.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft but not brown.
- Add the chickpeas and water, bring to the boil and then stir in the herbs, spices, salt and pepper, and the lamb.
- Put the casserole in the oven for 3 hours
- Add the potatoes and lemon juice, cover again and cook for a further 45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
Any left-over chickpeas and gravy are excellent as a separate dish. I served this with couscous and a salad.