This recipe is courtesy of the splendid ‘Pudding Club’ recipe book. We tried it on account of the two elderly bananas in the fruit bowl, and very good it was too. We customised it with a couple of pods of cardomom, ground and added this in with the cinnamon.
- 120g butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods, optional, grind the seeds
- 2 bananas
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then gradually beat in the egg and milk.
- Sift the flour, spices and baking powder together
- Mash the banans until they are smooth, and add the lemon juice.
- Stir the bananas into the egg mixture, then fold in the flour
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 1 1/2 pint (900ml) pudding basin. Cover securely, and steam for an hour
- Turn out and serve with custard or cream, or even vanilla icecream.