This was one of my mother’s standard recipes, very delicious, slightly sweet and sour, and best served with rice.
- 1 1/2 lb lean pork, diced
- 1 oz fat
- 1 oz flour
- 1 lb onions
- 1/2 pint stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 4 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 dessert spoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb chopped carrots
- 1 can of tomatoes.
- Set the oven to 160C, gas 3
- Fry off the pork in the oil, and set aside
- In the same pan, gently fry the sliced onions until they are soft, and beginning to brown
- Add the browned meat with the flour, and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the stock and vinegar, and stir well, then add the sugar, tarragon, seasoning and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to the boil
- Add the carrots and tomatoes and bring to the boil again.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and cook for 3 hours in the oven – check to make sure that it remains moist, and add stock if required.