This is another recipe from Delia Smith’s Christmas but I serve this all-year round. I keep the pre-prepared flour and parmesan in the freezer for when I need it.
- 1 kg parsnips
- 150g plain flour
- 50g grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil and butter
- Combine the flour, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Peel the parsnips, and quarter them lengthways, then cut each length in half.
- Boil the parsnips for around 3 minutes and drain.
- As soon as you drain them, when they are still damp and sticky, roll each parsnip in the flour mixture. They can be stored like this until you are ready to put them in the oven.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Grease a roasting tin with vegetable oil and add a knob of butter for more flavour. Heat in the oven until the fat is hot.
- Add the parsnips and roll them around in the hot fat, before putting the tray in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn and continue to roast until all crips and golden, for another 15 minutes.