The best recipe. There are many others. It is worth following this Delia Smith recipe.
- 1 kg red cabbage, chopped
- 500g onions, finely chopped
- 500g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 nutmeg, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 15g butter
- salt and black pepper
- Put the oven to 150C
- In a large casserole dish, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage, then salt and pepper, then a layer of onions and apples, sprinkled with garlic sugar and spice. Continue to repeat these layers until everything is in the dish.
- Pour over the vinegar, and dot the butter over the top.
- Cover the dish tightly and put it in the oven for 2 1/2 hours. Stir and check a couple of times.
This dish reheats well, and it also freezes OK. We usually only have this at Christmas, with ham.