I’ve a few meatball recipes to try, this one was delicious. It is adapted from another recipe that I have, but I needed to cut the quantities down, and make it simpler.
- 450g minced beef
- 50g breadcrumbs (I used panko) OR stick one slice of stale bread in a blender.
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tomato sauce recipe
- Fresh basil, if available, or use good quality green pesto sauce
- 1 pack of mozzarella cheese
- 50g grated parmesan
- In a large bowl, mix the mince, breadcrumbs, oregano, cumin, chilli, rosemary and egg yolk. Season with 1 level teaspoon of salt and a good grating of black pepper. Get your hands right into the mixture and really knead it together so that it is smooth and consistent.
- Shape into meatballs. I divided the mixture into 16 meatballs, but you could make these into 24 smaller meatballs. Put on a tray, and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Put the fresh tomato sauce into the bottom of a large shallow casserole dish or other oven-safe dish.
- Preheat a large flat-bottomed pan, and put in a good quantity of olive oil. Fry the meatballs quickly until they are browned all over. When they are done, put them into the tomato sauce.
- Cover the meatballs in sauce, top the dish with the cheeses and pesto or basil.
- Bake in a hot oven 200C for 20 minutes and serve with pasta. We got some posh tagliatelle from the co-op which worked well.