It is time to make the most of what is in the freezer. I am avoiding going out as much as possible, and eating some of the odd ingredients that are stashed in our freezer. I often take inspiration from recipes from the internet, adapted to what I have. In the freezer, for this recipe, I had some venison diced for stew, and I also had an old pack of membrillo, a quince paste that is generally served with Manchego cheese.
- 500g diced venison
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 200ml red wine
- 200ml stock
- 1 tbsp membrillo paste
- salt to taste
- Marinade the meat for at least two hours, and preferably overnight, in the wine and olive oil, seasoned with black pepper and dried rosemary.
- Strain the marinade and set aside.
- In a casserole dish, fry the venison in a little more olive oil,
- When the meat is browned, add the strained marinade, stock and membrillo paste.
- Cook in a slow oven, around 140 C for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, when the meat should be tender. Season to taste
I served this with kale tops and mashed potatoes.