Lots of places to pick fresh mussels around the coast. This is a great way to cook them.
- 2kg mussels, cleaned and scrubbed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 shallots
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 25g butter
- 600ml white wine
- 25ml pastis such as pernod (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Put the shallots, wine, pastis, garlic, and parsley in a large pan and simmer for five minutes
- Add the butter and the mussels, turn the heat to high, and cook until the mussels are open. Shake the pan a few times to ensure that the mussels cook evenly.
- Season, and serve the mussels in soup bowls with the liquor as a sauce, and chopped parsley as a garnish.