This is a delicious recipe that can be made using duck eggs. Polenta is gluten free so this is a useful cake to whip up for the GF tea table.
- 110g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 110g ground almonds
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 225g fine polenta
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy
- Beat the eggs into the mixture with the ground almonds, then add almond extract and polenta
- Line an 18 x 28 cm swill roll tin with greaseproof paper, allowing the paper to stand about 2cm higher than the tin. Spread the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Warm the honey in a pan and add the lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Simmer for five minutes until the syrup has reduced a little. Set aside to cool.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, cut into squares and pour over the syrup.
You could garnish these with slivered almonds while still hot and sticky, the syrup should hold the slivers in place. Serve when cooled. These are good at the end of a meal, with a cup of coffee.