I finally found a nettle soup recipe that I really like. This needs to be made in early spring, when the nettles are small and soft. Pick the nettle tops wearing washing up gloves and push them into a measuring jug until you have around 400ml.
- 400ml nettle tops
- 40g plain flour
- 80g blue cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- Wash and chop the nettle tops finely
- In a large pan, bring 1 litre of water to the boil, and add the nettle tops and flour. Cook and whisk together for around 10 minutes. I like to use my soup blender.
- Add blue cheese and simmer until it has melted into the soup, and then season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, add a couple of spoonfuls of the soup and mix together well. Pour the egg mixture back into the soup gradually, stirring as you go.
- In a small pan, melt the butter gently and cook until the milk solids in the butter start to turn brown.
- Serve the soup with the butter drizzled over the top.