I grew bulb fennel this year with varying success. To get the fennel to make nice tight little bulbs, it needs to be well watered, well fed, not overcrowded or stressed at all. I feel very accomplished with each perfect bulb. This is an excellent way to prepare them. For each person, allow one small fennel bulb.
- 1 fennel bulb per person
- 20g butter per person
- 20g grated parmesan per person
- salt and pepper
- Put the fennel in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half, and place in an oven proof dish, cut sides up.
- Melt the butter and pour this over the fennel bulbs
- Add a layer of grated parmesan to each fennel bulb, and grill under a hot grill until the cheese is browning and crisping up.
That is all. I served as a side dish with a rich stew and potatoes.