Submitted by Fiona Ballantyne. This is adapted from a recipe from a book called ‘Home baking’ by Carole Handslip, which was 99p well spent in a bargain book shop.
- 125g (4oz) margarine
- 125g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs (duck eggs work very well)
- 175g (6oz) self raising flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp milk (may need slightly more)
- Cream the fat and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little of the flour with the second.
- Add the remaining flour, 3 tbsp of the coconut and the milk.
- (This recipe also works well by adding all the ingredients to the food mixer and mixing together, and I often add all the coconut to the mix rather than sprinkling on the top and it binds well with a little extra milk).
- Turn into a lined and greased 1lb loaf tin and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.
- Bake at 180°C for 1 to 1¼ hours. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Nice plain but also very good with home made jam and desiccated coconut on the top.