We are about to go on holiday to Istanbul, so I was looking at Turkish recipes. This caught my eye, as I had a couple of green peppers from Tagsa Uist Grow your Community at East Camp. Very tasty, very easy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 small green peppers, halved, seeded and sliced.
- 2 dried chilli peppers, crushed
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Could include herbs such as thyme, oregano, spices such as cumin
- chopped parsley
- Sour cream or greek yoghurt
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan, and add the onions, then the garlic, and then the pepper and chillies. Fry slowly until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and any additional herbs and spices, and simmer slowly to reduce the mixture. Season with salt and pepper
- Make 4 holes in the mixture, and into each hole, crack an egg. Cover the pan and cook slowly for around 5 minutes to cook the eggs. (You can scramble the eggs into the mixture as an alternative.)
- Beat the yogurt or sour cream with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the menemen with parsley, and serve from the pan with the yoghurt or sour cream.