This is a recipe from Elizabeth David ‘French Provincial Cooking’. We are making our way through the prodigious quantities of food in the freezer, and this time I hauled out a stew pack of venison. This was easy and tasty, I used the timer function on my oven to cook it slowly through the afternoon.
- Around 900g to 1kg venison. If it is in one piece, tie it to a sausage shape
- 4 tbsp full-bodied red wine
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flour (I used gluten-free flour)
- salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 onion, sliced
- Put the venison in a container with a lid, and add the red wine, vinegar and olive oil. Leave to marinade overnight.
- Put the meat in a smallish casserole dish with the marinade. In a small cup, mix the flour with a little marinade to make a paste, and stir that in, also add the bay leaves and salt and pepper.
- Over the top of the meat, layer slices of onion and then streaky bacon.
- Cover, and cook at 150C for four hours.
We served this with fried mushrooms and potato and celeriac mash.