Bramble season in the Hebrides, much later than on the mainland. The blackberries we picked last weekend were sharp and flavourful, juicy and small. I’ve frozen some for making bramble jelly later, but I made a crumble for Malcolm, because he loves it.
- 1 very large cooking apple
- around 200g blackberries
- 2 tbsp date syrup or dark brown sugar or any other sugar
- a pinch of cinnamon, or allspice
- 60g butter
- 120g self-raising flour
- 60g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Make a crumble mix – rub the butter into the flour and then add the sugar. You can add porridge oats, ground nuts, flaked almonds use brown sugar, or add spices if you wish.
- Peel and chop the cooking apple, and then combine with the blackberries and the date syrup and allspice (or other sugar, sweet spice).
- Put the fruit evenly in the bottom of an oven-proof dish, then cover with the crumble mix.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, then serve with custard or cream.