Susannah and Alexander have hens, so I have eggs. This is another dish in which the eggs are poached in a sauce. This is delicious served with warm flatbreads, such as pitta bread. Susannah is good at home-made flatbreads, and I shall have to get instruction.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 long red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 hot green chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomato
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- eggs – 2 per person
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley to garnish
- feta cheese, crumbled, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan to a medium heat, and cook the chopped onions and peppers until soft, and beginning to brown at the edges.
- Add the oregano and spices, stir once and then add the tomatoes and stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until reduced to a thick stew.
- Use a spoon to make a small dent in the sauce, and crack the eggs into it, cover and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Garnish with the parsley and feta cheese and serve with bread.