I’ve had this recipe for years and years. I think it is best with a firm squash or pumpkin, like butternut squash.
- 1 1/2 lb pumpkin or squash, cubed
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, boiled for 15 minutes and cubed
- 1 oz grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 oz butter (omit for a vegan version)
- 3 floz olive oil
- 1 oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Melt the butter and the olive oil together and add the ginger, cumin and cardamom, and start to fry, for around 30 seconds
- Add the potato, pumpkin and fry for another 10 minutes, until the pumpkin is softening and the potatoes are starting to brown.
- Season with salt and pepper, put into an oven-proof gratin dish, and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Place under a hot grill for a few minutes, until the top is crisp and the interior is bubbling.