This is a lovely lemony dish, good as a side-serving with sausages and mash. It could be served at room temperature with bread for a light lunch.
- 500g leeks, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in half lengthways then thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp basmati rice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 240 ml hot water
- 1 tsp sugar, or date syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- In a wide heavy frying-pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the onions and carrots for 3 minutes or so. Then add the leeks and rice, and stir to combine.
- Add the hot water, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, and stir again.
- Cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for around 20 minutes. Set aside to cool with the lid on.
This is good garnished with chopped parsley.