This is very filling, we got six portions from this easily. It is more of a stew than a soup, really.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250g puy lentils or similar brown lentils
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- a bunch of Kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock, such as Marigold
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and fry the onion gently with the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli flakes and cinnamon, until soft.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and tomato puree, and stir.
- Add the stock and lentils and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes with the pan covered, until the lentils are softening.
- Add the chopped kale, check and add water if required, and bring to a simmer again for 10 minutes.
- Check and season with salt and pepper.