This is a recipe introduced to me by one of my daughters, thanks to one of her boyfriends. I believe it is Dutch in origin.
- 4 local wild rabbits, skinned and gutted
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 60g butter
- 60ml water
- salt and pepper
- 4 apples (Braeburn or similar)
- 8 potatoes (general cooking variety)
- more butter and/or cream
- 1 egg
- Set the oven to 160C
- Mix the rabbit with garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Put it in a roasting tray with butter and water and cover with tin foil. Bake in the oven until tender, about an hour. Take the tin foil off and bake for another ten minutes or so.
- When the rabbit is cool enough, strip off the meat, and put it into an oven-safe dish
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes and apples. Put the potatoes in a saucepan and just cover with water, and season with salt. Cover with a layer of apples, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain off most of the water, and roughly mash the apples and potatoes together, with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and an egg, butter and/or cream to taste.
- Put the mashed potatoes over the rabbit meat, heat through in the oven for around 10 minutes before serving.
I think adding bacon is allowed.