On consultation with the household, I was asked to make something new with the enormous celeriac that I had bought. I found a recipe in ‘The quick after-work vegetarian cookbook’ but then I tweaked it to make it more to my taste. The coriander definitely lifts the flavour. If you want to make a vegan version, you can leave out the sour cream, or substitute coconut yoghurt.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350g celeriac (about half of a large celeriac) peeled and chopped
- 350g carrots, peeled and chopped
- around 800ml stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 200 – 300ml sour cream
- Fry the chopped onion in the olive oil over a low heat.
- When the onion is soft, add the coriander, celeriac and carrots, stir and cook gently for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, and cook for around 20 minutes.
- Blitz the soup with a soup blender, and add the sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.
I’m sure there are more tweaks to be had, but this was a nice balance between easy, fast and tasty.