Malcolm got this recipe from somewhere, no idea where. We had it tonight, cooked with beetroot from Maria’s vegetable box scheme.
- 400g raw beetroot
- 2 tbsp organic sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 hot green chillies
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 can organic chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of salt
- 100ml coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- Peel the beetroot, and cut into matchsticks (a mandolin is useful for this. Or just cut it up as small as you can)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they start jumping, add the onion, garlic and chillies. Fry on medium heat until the onion is tender.
- Add the spices and the beetroot, fry for a further two minutes and then add the tomatoes, 250ml water and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender.
- Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for another couple of minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the lime juice, adjust the seasoning, and serve with rice.