- One beefheart, chopped into large cubes
- 2 lamb or pig kidneys, prepared and chopped
- 1 or 2 rashers of streaky smoked bacon, or lardons
- 2 shallots
- 1 florence fennel (if available)
- vegetable oil, dripping or other cooking fat
- 1 large glass of wine
- 1 can organic butterbeans
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bayleaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp flour blended with a little butter
- Using a deep cast-iron casserole dish, heat the cooking fat and fry off the chopped meat, and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in the fat with the finely chopped shallots
- Add the meat back to the pan, along with the glass of wine, herbs, salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer
- Cook in a very slow oven, around 110C for approximately five hours
- Add the beans and the flour mixture, stir and cook for another 20 minutes or so.
We ate this with mashed potato, carrots and leeks. Any left-over stew could be used for a pie filling.