- 1kg spinach
- 1 small onion finely chopped, or six spring onions
- 50g butter
- 125g Feta Cheese
- 1 dsp chopped fresh fennel or dill
- 100ml cream
- Salt and pepper
- flaky pastry
- Small grating of nutmeg
- Gently fry the onion in the butter until soft, then add all the spinach, and cook until it has all wilted down
- Mash the cream, herbs, and cheese together
- Mix the cheese and the spinach together, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Put the spinach and cheese mixture in a pie dish, and use the flaky pastry to cover
- Bake in a medium hot oven for 30-45 minutes until the top is crisp and golden.
If you were going to be really authentic, this would be made with filo pastry to create little triangular packets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQITqEJ-TvQ shows you the technique.