One of my stand-by recipe books is a rather unglamorous and battered book, called the Complete Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook. In my quest to cook about 40 different recipes with beef mince, I tried this, and it was delicious. I served it with plain basmati rice, and used up some coconut milk that I had, rather than following the recipe exactly.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmerig
- 450g minced beef
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- Heat the oil, and gently fry the onion.
- As it becomes well cooked, almost beginning to brown, add the garlic, ginger, chillies and the spices, and stir together until well mixed.
- Add the meat and continue to cook over a low heat.
- Once is browned, add the tomato puree, and the coconut milk, mix together and bring back to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer slowly for around 1 hour.
- Add the peas and cook for another 10 minutes before serving.