This is an astonishingly good combination to serve with pork.
- Enough potatoes for the number of people being served
- About half that quantity of hard pears
- Salt, pepper, butter
- A tiny amount of finely chopped crystalised ginger
- Peel and boil the potatoes as you would normally for mashed potatoes. Drain them, saving the boiling water
- Peel and core the pears, and poach them in the potato water until they are soft
- Mash the pears and potatoes together with salt, pepper, butter and the chopped ginger