We made this curry with left-overs.
- 1.25 kg left over roast venison, chopped into large cubes
- 4 tsp whole coriander
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1 tsp whole fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp whole fenugreek seed
- 4 tsbs olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece of grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 350ml stock (beef, chicken or marigold
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 125ml creamed coconut
- Salt and pepper
- In a small heavy pan, roast the cumin, coriander, fennel and fenugreek over high heat for 30s, set aside to cool, and then grind in a pestle and mortar.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan, and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and cinnamon over a medium heat for five minutes
- Add the stock, meat, vinegar, cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, lots of grated black pepper, all the ground spices, and bring to a simmer.
- Stir every so often, and heat through for around 30 minutes
- Stir in 125ml creamed coconut (or 250ml coconut milk)
I served this with rice. You could make this with brisket of beef, and cook in a slow oven for around 2 hours.