I made this to go with the lamb rib dish that I discovered. It is nutritious enough in itself not to need any meat, and it is filling. It makes a good base for adding other ingredients. Try serving it with kale seasoned with za’atar spice blend and lime juice.
- 100g green lentils
- 150g coarse bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced in half and then finely sliced into half-rings
- 350ml water or stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground pepper
- Rinse the lentils and soak the bulgar wheat in cold water
- Boil the lentils in plenty of unsalted water for around 15 minutes, then drain them and set them aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and cook the onions over a low heat for around 15 minutes, until they are caramelised.
- Drain the bulgar wheat and add to the saucepan as soon as the onions are cooked to your liking. Stir, add the lentils and stock or water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for around 15 minutes, then turn the heat off, wrap the lid in a teatowel and replace onto the pan, and let it rest for around ten minutes before serving.
If you are going to make this to serve with the lamb ribs, you should start making the pilau before you sort out the ribs.