I have some enormous carrots in the garden, and this was a delicious side-dish. It is great with lamb.
- about 500g carrots, peeled and chopped into large batons
- 50g butter
- salt and pepper
- 150ml Marsala wine, (madeira or sherry might do instead)
- Chopped parsley or a pinch of dried tarragon
- Melt the butter in a saute pan, and when it is foaming, add the carrots. Mix well with the butter so that the flavour is taken up by the carrots. Season with salt and pepper.
- After a couple of minutes, add the Marsala, simmer for five minutes, and then add water so that the carrots are not quite covered. Bring back to a simmer, put the lid on the pan and cook the carrots until they are tender.
- Take of the lid, turn up the heat and reduce the liquid so that it becomes a syrupy sauce.
- Add the chopped parsley or tarragon, and serve.