I think of these as tiny square spicy chips – they should be crispy and flavoursome.
- Around 700g potatoes, diced to around 1cm cubes
- 5 tbsp veg oil, such as rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1/8th tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder, such as Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, and let them sizzle for a minute, so that the mustard seeds pop.
- Add the potatoes, stir and sprinkle in the turmeric.
- When the potatoes start to brown, add the coriander, cumin, chilli and salt and turn the heat up to hot. Fry for another couple of minutes so the potatoes are crispy on the outside.
A great side-dish, or serve with a fried egg on top.