For this Indian recipe, you should really use fresh coconut, but if I’ve ever bought a coconut here, it has not been that good. I’ve substituted coconut milk.
- 6 tbs mustard oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black mustard seeds
- A large green cabbage, around 1.5kg, cored and finely shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 fresh hot green chilli, in fine long strips
- 50g grated coconut or 100ml coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium to high heat
- Add the mustard seeds and bayleaf, and as soon as the bayleaf starts to darken and the mustard seeds start to pop, add the cabbage
- Turn the heat to medium, then stir and cook for around five minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt and chilli, and continue to stir and cook for a further three to five minutes
- Turn off the heat, add the coconut, mix and serve.