The trick with this dish is to stew the peppers and potatoes slowly in olive oil. We had this with grilled pork chops.
- 250ml good olive oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 green peppers, roughly chopped
- 1kg firm potatoes, peeled, halved lengthways and then sliced
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of fennel seeds, optional.
- 4 bay leaves, optional
- In a large pan or casserole dish, heat the oil over a lowish heat.
- Start cooking the potatoes in the oil, and when they start to cook and soften a bit, add the onions, peppers, garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaves, grated black pepper and a good pinch of salt. Simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Drain off the oil using a sieve, set the oil aside for further use.
- Serve with pork or lamb chops.