This recipe can be made vegan, or not so vegan.
- 2tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 kohlrabi, well peeled and chopped
- 1/2 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 litre water
- 100g cashew nuts OR 200ml double cream
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- a good pinch of white ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes
- chilli flakes
- olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions for around 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, and then add the kohlrabi.
- Add the stock, water, herbs, salt and pepper, and the nuts if you are using them. Simmer for at least 20 minutes (I watched ‘It takes two’ strictly come dancing for the duration).
- Dice the potatoes and steam until tender
- Remove the bayleaves and puree with a soup wand. Add the cream now if you are using this.
Serve in warmed bowls with the potatoes, and garnish with olive oil and chilli flakes.