We made this with some really great quality local prawns. Looks like a tradition is starting.
- 1 kilo medium or large prawns, shelled
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 250ml coconut milk (or 50g creamed coconut dissolved in 250ml boiling water)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1 tsp tamarind paste)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1cm cubed fresh ginger, finely diced
- Heat the oil in a wok, or large frying pan
- Add the onion, and fry at quite a high temperature.
- Add the ginger and garlic when the onion is translucent.
- When the onion starts to brown, turn off the heat and stir in the pepper, cayenne, paprika and turmeric. Stir to mix.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the coconut milk. When it starts to bubble and cook, add the prawns and lemon juice, stir and cook until the prawns are hot.
Serve with rice.