We had some white fish in the freezer, so I had another go at making this, from a recipe book called Moro. The first time I made it, the fish was wildly over-cooked, so it is adapted to take cognisance of the random bits of fish we sometimes get.
- Approximately 600g fish – white fish fillets, prawns, etcetera
- A bag of approx 20 small salad potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 4 green peppers
- 2 tbsp oily black olives
- 100ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Make the marinade. Crush the garlic to a paste with the salt.
- Add the cumin and paprika, and continue to crush together, adding the other ingredients until reasonably well blended.
- Cut the fish into portions
- Mix about two thirds of the marinade mix with the fish, cover and set aside.
- Next, prepare the other ingredients:
- Boil the new potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes, then drain, cool and peel. Cut into halves.
- Slice the four garlic cloves
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half
- Take the stems off the green peppers, and scrape out the seeds. Put them in a microwave dish with a lid and cook on high for about seven minutes. Take them out, and remove the lid after a couple of minutes. Peel the outer skin off the cooked peppers. Chop the peppers into strips.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil, and over a medium heat, fry the garlic for a couple of minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the green peppers and the rest of the marinade, and cook for a couple of minutes
- Put the cooked potatoes in the bottom of a large flat casserole dish or tagine dish. Cover with most of the tomato mixture, then add the fish in a layer, still coated with the marinade. Then complete with the rest of the tomato mixture, and the olives.
- Add 100ml hot water, and cook for a further 6 minutes or so, until the fish is just cooked through.
Serve with bread and salad.