The famous Jane Grigson recipe.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 very large parsnip, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 heaped tsp madras curry powder
- 1.1 litres beef or vegetable stock
- 1.1 litres water (approx)
- salt and pepper
- 150ml cream
- chopped herbs
- Gently cook the onion, garlic, potato and parsnip in the butter in a large saucepan. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and curry powder, and continue to stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, and bring to the boil, and simmer for around half an hour.
- Puree the soup, and dilute to taste with the water, and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat and add the cream, and serve with chopped herbs as a garnish, and with bread and butter.