We had a big tub of crab meat, almost 500g, much more than I could eat in one roll, so I made this delicious risotto. The crab meat came from Kallin – Namara seafoods
- 800ml of hot stock (vegetable or fish)
- 200ml white wine
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 175g risotto rice
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- A tiny pinch of saffron (optional)
- 140g frozen peas
- 400g crab meat
- 1-2 tbsp chive flowers, or chopped chives.
- Make sure the stock is hot, bring to a simmer.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft – around 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and then the white wine, and then the pinch of saffron.
- Add the hot stock, one ladleful at a time, stirring to mix and waiting for the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladleful.
- When the rice is nearly cooked (about 18 minutes into the cooking process) add the peas, lemon juice and crab meat, season and cook for around 3 monutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add a knob of butter, another tbsp of stock, stir and leave to sit.
- Serve with wedges of lemon, and garnished with chive flowers.