This is a good dish to serve at room temperature along with a selection of salads, and other delicious things from the fridge. Fresh home-made bread is a good accompaniment.
- 500g podded broad beans – Neillie’s has frozen broad beans that work well for this recipe
- 150g rindless, smoked, dry cured streaky bacon
- 50g butter
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- a handful of chopped fresh herbs – try dill, mint, or parsley
- Freshly grated black pepper and salt
- Cut the bacon across the way into strips around 1cm wide.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat until softening, then add the finely chopped garlic
- As the garlic begins to cook, add the bacon and turn up the heat a little, stirring until the bacon is cooked.
- Stir in the beans, heat and stir until warmed through.
- Cover the pan and simmer for around 7 minutes until the beans are cooked.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the salt, pepper and herbs, and cover again to allow the flavours to infuse as the dish cools down to room temperature