The season for this dish is coming soon, but I just longed for it. I had eggs, some frozen broad beans from last year, and some dried dill, and it was very good. It will be even better when my dill plants and broad beans are ready. Thanks to Susannah and Alexander for the eggs.
Thank you to ‘nightingales and roses‘ for the recipe.
- 500-600g broad beans
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 60g fresh dill, chopped, or 2 tbsp dried
- 4 tbsp oil
- Defrost the beans, if using frozen beans. For larger beans, remove the tough outer skin.
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Mix the salt, baking powder, pepper, garlic, flour and turmeric and beat into the eggs. Squish any lumps, then fold in the beans and dill.
- Oil a 20cm springform tin with half the oil, and heat it in the oven. When the tin is hot, pour in the mixture and return to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven, and brush the remaining oil over the top. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the top has a lovely golden crust.
Serve with a radish salad, flatbread, a yoghurt dip, some fresh walnuts.