I found the original recipe I was given rather sweet, so I have reduced the amount of honey in the recipe here. I’m currently trying out all sorts of recipes with potato in, if you hadn’t noticed.
- 1 can of borlotti beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, 1cm dice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 dried chillies, crushed
- 1/2 tsp mild dried chilli flakes
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice of half a lemon, about 2 tbsp
- a good grind of black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium flame, and fry the onion, garlic and carrot for around ten minutes. Keep stirring so that the vegetables don’t catch.
- Add the tomato paste, chillies and chilli flakes, and cook for a minute.
- Add the borlotti beans, potato, dried basil and salt and cook for a few minutes to heat everything through
- Add 500ml boiling water and the lemon juice, and simmer for around twenty minutes until the potato is cooked.
- Add the black pepper and honey to taste, and stir the parsley through. Leave the stew for around ten minutes before serving, to allow the flavours to mingle.