This recipe uses up the egg-whites left over from making hollandaise sauce. It is really chocolatey.
- 170g butter
- 170g 70% dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 30ml cold coffee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 30g unsweetened cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate)
- 4 egg whites
- 125g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Prepare a 20cm square cake tin – grease with butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Put a bowl over a pan of boiling water, and put in the chocolate and butter. Heat until all the butter and chocolate have melted together.
- Add the vanilla, coffee and salt, stir and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the caster sugar, soft brown sugar and cocoa powder. Add the egg whites, and use a beater to whisk the mixture together. The volume should increase by more than double and the mixture should go pale.
- Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture and the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and put it in the oven. Turn the heat down to 175C and bake for 30 minutes.
- Set the cooked brownies to cool in their tin. Once the are cold, lift them out and cut into squares.