I need to add this recipe because it is used in so many other things. I’m just about to add some recipes for meatballs and this is a prerequisite.
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped, or one dried chilli, crumbled
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tins of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful of basil, roughly chopped (I have made this without, when none in the shops)
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan, gently fry the garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the chilli, oregano and tomatoes. Don’t break the tomatoes up if possible, leave them whole. Bring to the boil and simmer very gently, checking every 10 minutes or so. If it is looking dry, add water.
- Add the vinegar, and break up the tomatoes, stirring well. Add basil leaves, salt and pepper. A bit of very good olive oil can be added at this stage.
This makes a good quantity of tomato sauce, enough for one meatball recipe, and enough to serve six people.