Here is the traditional turkey risotto recipe ready for boxing day. It is adapted from Risotto! Risotto!
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stick
- 75g butter
- 400g left-over turkey, diced
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 200ml dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1.2 litres of stock or gravy from the turkey
- 400g risotto rice
- 5 tbsp single cream
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
The above quantities will feed 4 to 6 people. If you are cooking larger quantities, use multiple pans, with around 400g rice cooking in each pan.
- Gently fry the onion and celery together in 30g of the butter, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the meat, cook through and then add the lemon juice and lemon rind, the wine and seasoning, and simmer together to create a tasty stew.
- Add the rice, mix together, and then start adding the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and keeping the risotto at a simmer. When the liquid has been fully incorporated into the risotto, add another ladleful.
- After around 20 minutes, the rice will be firm but cooked, and the sauce will be creamy and coating the rice. Take the risotto off the heat, and add the rest of the butter, the cream and the parmesan. Give this all a good stir, and leave it to rest for a few minutes.
- Serve on a warmed platter, garnished with parsley.