After Christmas, I have been taking stock of all our leftovers. We must have been expecting a frenzy of people wanting tangerines, gin & tonic, and fresh ginger.
I made this mixed fruit marmalade with all the citrus fruit. Still to work out what to do with a huge bag of fresh ginger.
- Tangerines, Limes, Lemons, Oranges, Grapefruit, combined = 1.4 kg
- 1.4 kg jam sugar
- 2.8 litres of water
- Peel the tangerines, and slice the peel into thin shreds. Put this in a wee muslin bag
- Chop all the fruit up coarsely, with the peel on – slicing it works well.
- Put the wee bag of peel and the fruit into a large pan with the water, and bring to the simmer, cook for 2 hours. Remove the wee muslin bag about half way through.
- Strain the mixture through a jelly bag, and measure the juice – if it is more than 1.4 litres, put it into the jam pan and bring to the boil and reduce.
- Add the sugar, dissolve it, and bring to the boil. I use a thermometer to get to jam temperature, then I hold the stirring spoon horizontally to see if the drips start to set and combine together (flake test)
- Skim off any foam, add the shredded peel, and let the mixture start to cool. Pour into clean warmed jars. (I warm the clean jars in the oven).