My brother-in-law, John, served this to us one evening. It was only the second time we met and the soup was one of the many highlights of the evening. The taste recalls the evening around 25 years ago.
- 1 large white onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 400g mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 pint of stock
- 1 tsp miso (you can substitute marmite if no miso available)
- 150ml sour cream
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Finely chop the onion and fry gently in the oil, with 1/2 tsp salt
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the pan
- Add the dill, thyme, paprika and cayenne, and cover. Cook slowly for around 7 minutes.
- Add the stock and miso and bring to a simmer for three minutes.
- Liquidise, and add the sour cream and lemon juice.
- Reheat without bringing to the boil.
Serve with brown bread.