I have three recipes for green beans with coconut. This is a very easy version.
- 1 lb green beans in 1 inch lengths
- 2oz grated coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine the coconut, coriander, asafoetida, green chilli and salt in a dish.
- Blanch the beans in boiling water for 3 minutes
- In the oil, fry the sesame and mustard seeds together with the cayenne pepper – after about a minute, the seeds will pop, so take them off the heat at that point.
- Add the beans to the mixture, and cook on a low heat until they are tender
- Add the coconut mixture, and serve
This is a recipe from the Philippines. It is great with rice.
- 700g fresh green beans
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of organic chopped tomatoes
- 4tbsp organic vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Trim the beans and cut into 3cm lengths. Cut the onions in half and slice crosswise to fine slices, and chop the garlic very fine.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the garlic for a few seconds, before adding the onion slices. Stir and fry for another 3 minutes or so, until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper and 100ml water
- Bring to the boil, cover, and then simmer for around 15 minutes until the beans are cooked.
- Remove the lid, turn up the heat and reduce the sauce until it is quite thick. Stir while you are doing this to stop it from sticking.