This is my version of a greek salad, it is quick to make and one of my favourites. I don’t usually refer to a recipe, so it is probably not that authentic. It has a lot in common with the Persian summer salad.
- Half a cucumber
- About the same weight of cherry tomatoes
- About four or five spring onions
- A small little gem lettuce
- 50g feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
- Oregano or chive flowers
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Line a large salad bowl with lettuce leaves
- Dice the cucumber, chop the onions, cut up the tomatoes and add them to the bowl, in layers with the tomatoes on the top.
- Add the olives and crumbled cheese, and garnish with herbs.
- Just before serving, season and add a drizzle of olive oil.
My recipe for Stifatho comes from The Home Book of Greek Cookery by Joyce M. Stubbs. I bought it in a jumble sale in 1987, and it has been in use ever since. There are many other versions online. The trickiest bit was to find small onions or shallots. Shallots grow well here. The ones in the shops are a bit too large, you are hoping to use shallots or onions about the size of a walnut.
- 1kg stewing steak, cut into portions about the size of half a post-card and 1cm thick
- 1kg shallots or pickling onions
- 200ml olive oil
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 200ml red wine
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- In a skillet, brown the meat in hot olive oil and put into a casserole dish.
- Cover the meat with hot water, and stew gently in a moderate oven (140C) for an hour.
- Using a soup wand, puree the tin of tomatoes, and add them to the meat, along with the peeled whole onions, garlic cloves, bay leaves, spices, red wine, wine vinegar, and the rest of the olive oil.
- Bring the stew to a simmer, stir, cover with a lid and return to the oven for at least another two hours.
- Once the meat is tender, and the sauce is rich and thick, take it out of the oven and set to one side. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper at this stage.
- Cook some small potatoes, and serve with the stew. The stew could be served with mashed potatoes, or in small bowls with a side-serving of boiled potatoes.