Dear Angela. Here is the original recipe for the chutney. I got this from Christina at the surgery, whose mother got it from a friend. The quantities are quite ‘loose’ and depend on what is in the store cupboard.
- 2 lb cooking apples
- as much garlic as you like
- 1 3/4 pints malt vinegar
- 1 lb dates, stones out and chopped
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- ginger, peeled and grated, if wished
- Chop the unpeeled apples, garlic and ginger, and simmer in a pan with the vinegar, until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring regularly.
Makes about 6 jars. The recorder of the recipe advises keeping your fingers crossed; I suspect because she is free and easy with the quantities.