This is an adaptation of a recipe from ‘Vegetarian Pasta’ by Rose Elliot. We had quite a lot of cream and cheese left towards the end of the Christmas break, so this was an excellent way to pull everything together.
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 300ml cream
- salt, black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 400g tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 125g blue cheese such as St Agur or dolcelatte, chopped
- 125g spinach leaves, shredded
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make the cream sauce. Melt the butter in a small pan, and add the onion. Cook very gently for ten minutes with the lid on. The onion should be tender, but not brown.
- Add the garlic, and cook for another couple of minutes, then add the cream, and leave to simmer very gently for another ten minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Put a large pan of salted water on to boil for the tagliatelle. When the water boils, add the pasta, give it a stir and leave to cook for around 8 minutes.
- A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, add the cheese and spinach to the sauce, and stir to warm through, and season with pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta and put it back in the warm pan, add a tablespoonful of good olive oil and stir.
- Serve in warm dishes with the sauce poured over the top. You can also pour the sauce onto the pasta in the pan, stir, and then serve onto warm dishes.