This is a classic. I use a very old version from a book by Marguerite Patten; the book is priced 2/6! The jam is best with rhubarb cut late in the year. I have recently reviewed this alongside the ‘Maw Broon’s cookbook’ and updated it. As usual, most of the ingredients can be ethically sourced.
- 800g-1kg Rhubarb, locally grown
- 200g crystalised ginger
- 1kg jam sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cut the rhubarb into 1 inch pieces, and cover with the sugar to stand overnight.
- Chop the ginger finely and sprinkle into the sugar.
- Cook slowly in a jam pan, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and bring to the boil. Heat quickly until the jam is thick, and boil for about 15 minutes.
- Pour into clean warmed jars.